Thinking and Drawing

September 27, 2011

This weekend I spent a lot of time thinking of ways to make the mesh "drawings" look more professional.  I wasn't happy with my first attempt at a large scale piece.  Taking some well directed advice I began to think on a smaller scale.  I also went out and just drew trees and plants for a short time.  I will have to add this to my schedule weekly.  It was a great help.

I am thinking of turning my pieces into small houses (linking natural habitats to the human habitats that are in constant competition). Another option could be hanging the pieces so the shadows reflect on houses drawn in the background and hung on the wall.  I'm sure there will be more to follow on this subject.  I plan to make a small finished piece this weekend to see how this works.

I also read interviews with artist Judy Pfaff.  I spent time looking at images of her work online.  I am really drawn to the layers in her pieces, as well as the colors and use of space.  Pfaff uses a variety of materials in her compositions.  The layering and choice of materials draw the viewer in.  There is much to look at.