The Second Year

I am now in the process of editing my proposal for the thesis project.  Here are my beginning thoughts starting from a reflection of last semester's work:

In my second semester project I explored the gridded structure of the city.   I discussed the cube as an escape of the harsh reality of life (war, sickness, decay, etc…).  I used thread and fabric to illustrate the pattern of entropy and growth found in the city.  I discussed the constant battle in the city and in my work for balance and order.  In contrast I also discussed the tendency in the city and in nature toward disorder.   Man clears away nature to build.  Nature grows back. Buildings fall into disrepair.  Man rebuilds and repairs the city, each time adding to the framework of the city his own sociological ideas through the structure and ornamentation of the city.  This updated city creates an interesting juxtaposition of both old and new thought as well as old and new architecture.  Aging and crumbling facades sit in contrast to new modern towers in the physical city.

My proposal is to create a three dimensional piece in fabric and thread that reflects my observations of the city as a juxtaposition of physical structure, ornament and sociological ideals.  I plan to research the historical influences dictating ornament and discuss trends in art in relation to architecture and ornament. 

More to come...