February 3, 2013


Last semester in my gridded piece I positioned the sewn trees in rows aside lamp posts to reference the repetition in the grid of the city. At times the trees in my piece became vines and began to take over the manmade in the city.  It was a reminder that ultimately man cannot control nature (decay, growth, change).   I decided early on to use the sewn trees on a much larger scale for this project to reference a sublime nature. 

This semester I am creating my own manmade space that attempts to echo both the sublime and the architectural.  As romanticism noted there is more to the sublime than just beauty.  The sublime can be unnerving and chaotic.  It is spontaneous and unpredictable.

In the manmade one sees an attempt to order nature and recreate beauty, and sometimes deny the sublime.  In doing so he uses pattern and repetition.  The pattern and repetition attempt to control the spontaneous nature of the sublime.  It attempts to put nature back in its place. There is both frustration and awe in the fact that humans cannot compete with the Divine. 

In my work I recall the sublime through scale.   The manmade is referenced in the repetition of the tree structures that become both architectural and ornamental.  They have a dual nature.   They are evenly spaced with branches meeting in arches.  The materials (silk, beads, organza, and lace) attempt beauty but unravel in a way that evokes the natural elements of a tree and vines.  The structures move back and forth from architecture and ornament to reference nature and the sublime.

The lace is both patterned and chaotic as it loses its structure.  The materials are fragile and delicate and evoke the seductive quality of beauty.  Light shining through the piece creates shadows that reference the unknown. 

I have now completed and hung several of the tree panels.  I am beginning to add the architectural elements.   My next step will be to find a way to tie all of the pieces together visually.  I am also considering adding small areas of color to the piece.  This was a suggestion from my review.  I have always liked a great deal of color in my work.  I have left it out of my last two pieces.  I would like to find a way to bring it back in without overpowering the piece.